Skip to main content

Sur la Table: Pub Grub and Asian Fusion Cuisine

Sea bass on a bed of vegetables with curry sauce and steamed rice

One late Sunday evening in Ennis, a small town about 30 minutes from Shannon Airport, I was looking for a place to eat and happened to read the menu on the window of a "take away" place. I was famished after an exploratory walk all over town and on my way back to the hotel. After much indecision, I settled for the prawns with sweet and sour sauce and steamed rice. All for 10 euros. While waiting I noticed a steady stream of people coming in to order their dinner. When my order was ready, I received it in a plastic box. No worries about spilling.

I counted at least four Asian restaurants in the center of Ennis which I thought was surprising in such a small community. But further explorations in other cities revealed the proliferation of Asian fusion restaurants. This says a lot about the culinary preferences of the locals. Here are some restaurants and a pub where I had a pleasurable dining experience.

Tamarind - Galway


At the end of Galway City's busy main street on Fishmarket Square is Tamarind Restaurant. It has an enviable location across from the Corrib river and right by the Spanish Arch which can be seen from its large window. As with most restaurants in Europe, the menu is posted outside the door. But I didn't have the chance to review it because a gust of wind coupled with huge drops of rain (in the middle of summer) pushed me into the restaurant. When I saw the dining room, I knew immediately I wanted to eat there. I liked the minimalist, zen like ambience of wood top tables and straight back burgundy upholstered chairs. And the food didn't disappoint. My choice was curried sea bass with rice and vegetables. Since I'm not much of a curry fan, I asked that the curry sauce be served on the side. This was a good move because the fish was succulent and didn't need much to spice it up. Just a little soy sauce. The waitress was attentive and was always within reach. Here's their address:
Spanish Arch
Galway, Co. Galway, Ireland
091 568 010
http://www.tamarind.ie/

Bambu Thai Restaurant - Limerick City

Chicken with black bean sauce

At Bambu, I felt comfortable in simple surroundings. So comfortable in fact that I was the last to leave among the late lunch-goers. I had a plateful of chicken with black bean sauce and steamed rice (you can also request for noodles and french fries instead of rice) which I managed to devour completely. The sauce was just right, neither salty nor greasy. I also had some kropek (shrimp crackers) for appetizer and these were nice and crunchy.  Bambu is located on the main shopping street in Limerick.
116 O'Connell Street
Limerick, County Limerick
http://www.bambu.ie/

Gus O'Connor's Pub - Doolin

Since 1832

Our tour guide carefully explained this pub rule: when you enter the pub, get your table first, then go to the bar and order your food (who's gonna watch my table while I go to the bar?).  So I secured my table, stood up near the bar and looked puzzled, (I was searching for the menu). And one of the staff, reading my mind, came up to me to ask if I needed help. I was impressed with his attentiveness. Menu in hand, I went up to the bar once more and asked for the Atlantic Salmon. (Doolin is right on the coast and seafood is often fresh and varied.) In no time my entrée arrived with 2 scoops of mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and broccoli. A lot of food for one person.


Gus O'Connor's is well known throughout Ireland as the home of traditional Irish music. The pub is alive with music sessions nightly during the summer months and annually in February, when the Russell Memorial Weekend is held in Doolin to remember the Russell brothers, all traditional musicians who helped put Doolin on the world music circuit.
Fisher Street, Doolin
County Clare

I have to say that in all the restaurants where I dined in Western Ireland, the service was very good. The waiter/waitress was always there to check if I needed anything else. This is quite a switch from the poor service I've experienced in other European countries where I've been totally ignored or kept waiting for as long as it pleased the server (even with local company) or condescendingly served. How refreshing to visit a country where the people are genuinely nice and accommodating.

*  *  *

Images by Charie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Filipino Struggles in History - Carlos Botong Francisco

In 1968, Antonio Villegas (then Mayor of Manila), commissioned Carlos "Botong" Francisco to paint the history of Manila for Manila City Hall. The series of large scale paintings was called  Kasaysayan ng Maynila  (History of Manila).  The paintings deteriorated over time and no attempt was made to preserve these historical canvases until 2013 when Mayor Amado Lim sent them to the National Museum for extensive restoration. Four years later, in 2017, Mayor Joseph Ejercito Estrada and the Manila City Council signed an agreement with the National Museum to leave the paintings at the museum so they may reach a larger audience in exchange for museum grade reproductions to replace the originals. Kasaysayan ng Maynila was later renamed Filipino Struggles in History and is now on display at the Senate Hall of the National Museum . Carlos "Botong" Francisco died in March 1969, a few months after completing the paintings. He is one of the first Filipino modernists and

The Art of Carlos Botong Francisco - Progress of Medicine in the Philippines

Pre-colonial period Pag-unlad ng Panggagamot sa Pilipinas (The Progress of Medicine in the Philippines) is a group of four large-scale paintings depicting healing practices in the Philippines from pre-colonial times to the modern period. Carlos Botong Francisco was commissioned in 1953 by  Dr. Agerico Sison who was then the director of Philippine General Hospital (PGH) together with   Dr. Eduardo Quisumbing of the National Museum, Dr. Florentino Herrera, Jr. and Dr. Constantino Manahan. These oil on canvas paintings measure 2.92 meters in height and 2.76 meters in width (9.71 ft x 8.92 ft) and were displayed at the main entrance hall of PGH for over five decades. Owing to its location, the artworks were in a state of "severe deterioration" at the beginning of the 21st century from exposure to heat, humidity, dirt, dust, smoke, insect stains, grime, termites and an oxidized synthetic resin used in an earlier restoration. These canvases were restored three times, the last was

8 Heritage Houses of Iloilo

Lizares Mansion The province of Iloilo on the island of Panay has a rich trove of heritage houses, left over from the sugar industry boom in the 19th century. Iloilo also had the largest port in the Philippines at that time which facilitated the export of sugar to foreign shores and deposited money in the hands of the sugar barons. The barons dropped their earnings into the acquisition of properties in Negros and the construction of beautiful homes in Iloilo, many of which are located in the vicinity of the Jaro Cathedral. The Lizares Mansion was built in 1937 by Don Emiliano Lizares for his wife, Concepcion Gamboa and five children. The family fled to safety when World War II broke out and the house was occupied by the Japanese military. The family returned to the house after the war but left once again after the demise of Don Emiliano. It was sold to the Dominican order in the 1960s and was converted in 1978 to a private school, Angelicum School. The mansion now houses the